Crafting up home décor items is kind of my thing! Over at my blog, The Organized Mama, I share ways to organize a handmade home. I just love mixing crafting with creating home décor items. Last week, I shared how to upholster an IKEA bench to get in the spirit for National DIY Day.
So, with spring coming, I wanted to create a piece for my mantel to add a bit of flair. I have seen a lot of the decorative wood signs, and absolutely adore them, but felt I needed to put my own spin on it.
I started by looking through all my crafting supplies, and got inspired by the felt balls I had found at Michael's Craft Store not too long ago!
- Wooden Sign
- Paper Cutter (I used my Silhouette Cameo for this)
- Xyron Creative Station with Permanent Adhesive Refill
- Imagine Creative Medium in Clear
- Brush (I used Imagine Brush Stix but an old paint brush will work too)
- White Glitter
- Tacky Glue
- Colorful Felt Balls
- Cut out letters for your sign using your paper cutter. I decided to make my sign say “gather” using Cantori Pro font.
- Carefully remove the letters from cut mat.
- Run the letters through the Xyron Creative Station. Rub the entire paper with your fist before you remove the top, clear layer.
- Gently peel the letters off the back of the sticker paper.
- Place the letters onto the wood sign, and press to ensure all letters adhere to the sign.
- Using your brush, cover the entire word with the creative medium.
- Once word is covered, sprinkle glitter all over the creative medium.
- Shake off excess glitter.
- While waiting for the sign to dry, add felt balls to the sides of the sign. Adhere felt balls using tacky glue.
- Set aside and let dry.
- Once dry, hang or display!
I am just loving how this sign fits so perfectly into our living room! I decided to hide the twine that is used to hang the sign. I stuck it behind the sign and attached it using painter’s tape. This way it won’t get in the way when it is sitting on my mantel, but I can change up where it goes by hanging it around the house!
It would also make an adorable door wreath to welcome visitors! Just change the word to “welcome”! Or change it for the holidays… just add “easter” and some felt eggs instead of balls. The possibilities are endless with how to create decorative signs for your home!
I can’t wait to celebrate National DIY Day with you on April 2, 2017! What are you going to make?!?!
National DIY DAY Ambassador| The Organized Mama
The Organized Mama is an organizing and crafting blog, which inspires organizing a handmade home through crafting and organizing tutorials! I started The Organized Mama out of a desire to help others feel more inspired about organizing and utilizing their crafty side. The two really mesh well together as you need to be creative to organize well!