The front door of your home is often the first impression of your home style. I have always had a passion for creating the most beautiful and welcoming and front door decoration. I quickly got board with wreaths and since have been having a blast coming up with other creative front door decor. This hanging mason jar flower vase is one of my favorite creations. Not only is it easy to create but you can customize it with your favorite fresh or silk flowers and a welcoming message. Happy creating!
Project: Front Door Mason Jar Flower Vase
- 32 ounce mason jar
- 8 screw hooks
- 1 piece of 8 inch x 4 inch treated ply wood
- 1 piece of 8 inch x 15 inch ply wood
- White chalk paint
- Black chalkboard paint
- Thick bristle brush
- Standard paint brush
- Burlap ribbon
- 24 gauge galvanized wire
- Sand Paper
- Chalk (not pictured)
- Sand both pieces of wood to avoid splinters. Dust off the sand when you are satisfied with the smoothness of the boards.
- Paint both boards with white chalk paint and thick bristle brush. Paint 2 coats waiting about 5 minutes between coats.
- Once the paint is dry, paint a chalkboard space on the small board with the black chalk paint.
- Next, position the mason jar on the large board, centering it both vertically and horizontally.
- Take two of the screw hooks and place them on either side of the jar, 1 inch from the top of the jar, making sure the screw hooks are touching the jar. Push the screw point in the wood to make a mark.
- Remove the mason jar. Screw the screw hooks into the wood where you made the marks. The hook opening should be facing up.
- Next step is to place the screw hooks on the top and bottom sides of the large board. Measure 1/2 inch inch from both edges on the top and bottom sides. Push the screws into wood to make a mark and then screw them into the wood. The hooks on the top and bottom edges of the board should match up.
- Once the chalk paint is dry on the small piece of wood, screw hooks to the top edge. Measure 1/2 inch from the edge on the top side of the board and use the tip of the screw hook to make a mark. Screw both screw hooks into the wood. These hooks should line up withe hooks on the bottom edge of the large board.
- Next, measure and cut a 15 inch piece of wire. Wrap the wire tightly around the lip of the jar, leaving a 4 inch tail of wire on either end.
- Take the both loose ends and wrap them tightly around the hooks securing the jar to the hooks and flush against the board. Trim any loose ends of wire.
- If you want ad an extra layer of security, add a drop of hot glue to the sides of the jar and wire and one on the backside of the jar to secure it to the board.
- Cut a 2 foot piece of burlap ribbon. Hook the ribbon on the top hooks and tie a knot or bow to create a loop to hang on your door hanger.
- Write a message with chalk on the small board and hook it to the bottom hooks of the large board.
- Fill the mason jar with your favorite real or silk flowers and display on your front door!
Expert Tip: Get creative by painting a pattern on the large board.
*I created this post for Southern Living's blog as one of my bi-monthly contributions.