My five-year-old nephew recently visited for a weekend and while we had a ton of fun activities planned, I also needed to find some interesting and easy projects to do around the house when we weren't on the go! That's where this Kids Stained Glass Project came to mind and so we decided to give it a try!
- White Glue
- Plastic Lids (we used small clear plastic lids that come with to-go condiment cups, and one large white plastic lid to an old butter tub)
- Food Coloring
- Clothes Hanger
- Hole Puncher
1. Fill in your plastic lids with glue.
2. Drop various colors of food coloring into the glue. Use it sparingly and go with colors that complement each other!
3. Using a toothpick, drag your colors around the glue to create various designs and swirls.
4. Set the lids aside to dry for a minimum of 24 hours or more.
5. After the glue has completely dried, you can pull the white plastic lid from the dried glue design. I preferred the small clear plastic lids because we were able to leave them on the glue for extra support!
6. Punch holes in the top of each design.
7. Tie a ribbon through the hole you just punched, then tie the other end to the clothes hanger at various heights.
8. Hang it up & enjoy!
While the glue was not super sturdy, the clear plastic lids helped keep it stable and provide extra support. The smaller lids seemed to be the bigger hit with my nephew because he was able to create several small designs, and the small lids were easier for him to hold onto with his little hands.
This is a great way to keep them entertained but also give them hands on action where they can let their creativity flow! My nephew loved the way these turned out and was so excited to hang this Kids Stained Glass Project in his room! Oh... and his mom (my sister) was even curious enough to come over and design one on her own too, so this is a wonderful project for everyone in the family regardless of their age!
Good luck with your own masterpiece! And of course check out more creative ideas over on PeachfullyChic.com :)