These baked jalapeno poppers are perfect for game day. They are stuffed with cream cheese and cheddar cheese, and then breaded with a panko bread crumbs coating. They are also a little on the healthier side because they are baked! Leaves more room for us to chow down during game season!
You will start by lining a baking sheet and then prepping 3 different bowls.
The first bowl will be your garlic powder, chili powder, and cheddar and cream cheese mixture. Mix it all up!
The next bowl will be your whisked eggs.
And your next bowl will be your panko, with a little salt added.
Go ahead and slice your jalapenos in half, lengthwise and then place them onto a prepared baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. If you like extra spicy you can leave all of the seeds in. I wanted a spicy kick so I removed some of the seeds and left some.
I found it easiest to use my hands to place the cheese mixture into the jalapenos, and then spread it to cover as much as possible. Feel free to use a spoon if it's easier for you.
Once you've got all your jalapenos ready, will dip them one by one, first into the whisked eggs, and then into the panko mixture. I breaded the filled side of the jalapenos with the panko bread crumbs, but if you'd like, you can coat both sides and you might just need to add extra panko into the bowl once you run out.
I baked my jalapenos for about 20 minutes and then broiled them on high for about 2 minutes to get some nice color and crispness to the cheese.
These came out so cheesy and I feel good that they're baked instead of fried!
Since my jalapenos were a bit on the spicy side I ate them with a side of sour cream!
Since they are finger foods and easy to eat, they are perfect for game day!
Baked Jalapeno Poppers
12 jalapeno peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, deseeded
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, softeneed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 large eggs
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sour cream (for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. If you like them to be more spicy, keep seeds in. Place jalapenos onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Prepare 3 bowls- one with cheddar cheese, cream cheese, chili powder, and garlic powder. Second bowl with 2 whisked eggs. And last bowl with panko bread crumbs with salt.
- Place cream cheese mixture into each jalapeno and complete the process until all jalapenos are stuffed. Dip each jalapeno first into the whisked eggs, and then coat them with panko. Place back onto prepared baking sheet. Complete this process for all jalapenos.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted. If you'd like to brown the cheese, broil on high for about 2 minutes, checking very often.
- Serve with sour cream for dipping if desired.
For more easy to follow recipes, subscribe to my food blog at Tabitha Talks Food .