Make the ultimate DIY gift for children with this fantastic crate dollhouse tutorial. The best part about this project is that you can assemble and decorate it however you desire. The end result is a toy that will provide several hours of fun for your little ones and endless amounts of imaginative playtime.
Continue reading below for instructions.
- 3 Large Wooden Crates (12.25 x 9.5 x 18 inches)
- 1 Large Wooden CD Crate (17.9 x 5.8 x 4.4 inches)
- Decorative Adhesive Paper
- Peel and Stick Vinyl Flooring
- AMERICANA DECOR® CHALKY FINISH™ PAINT
- Paint Brush
- Paper Borders
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Scissors or Utility Knife
- 10-12 inch Dolls and Furniture
- Miniature Faux Cactus and Flowers (optional)
1. Gather supplies and use this time to decide the arrangement and layout of the crates. There are many ways to stack the crates to resemble a house. Choose the style that's most convenient for you.
2. Before you begin to paint, measure and cut the flooring and decorative paper with scissors or a utility knife to fit inside the crates, but make sure to keep the protective baking on papers and flooring. Set them aside for later.
3. Paint the crates with at least two coats. I painted the outside of the crates with a coral tone paint and the inside of the crates white. Let dry for a couple of hours.
4. Adhere the crates together with wood glue. Follow the directions on the bottle for application and drying time.
5. Remove the protective backing from the papers and flooring. Adhere the paper to the inner walls of the crates, then adhere the flooring to the bottom of each crate.
6. Cut and glue the paper borders to the front of the dollhouse.
7. Add dolls and furniture. This dollhouse can store toys up to 12 inches high.
8. Optional: For added decoration, make a small rooftop garden for the dollhouse. Gather the following supplies: small wood box, floral foam, faux cactus, moss, mini wooden fence, hot glue gun.
- Paint the wooden box and mini fence. Let dry.
- Insert enough floral foam to cover the inside of the wooden box.
- Glue the moss on top of the floral foam until it's no longer visible.
- Arrange and insert the faux cactus into the foam.
- Place the boxed garden on the top of the house.
And that's it! Now it's time to play!
P.S. This dollhouse also works great as storage for toys, books, and other decorative items.
Thanks for reading! Please feel free to share this project via social media.