We are not all blessed with a huge yard or deck to cultivate a garden. I have a pretty large deck but a very small yard which leaves little room to grow my garden. I created a garden on wheels to add color to my deck. I love this project because I have the freedom to move it around when I need to rearrange the deck for entertaining!
- 2 Large Crates from The Home Depot
- 4 Wooden Dowels Measuring 1 inch x 24 inches (A Home Depot associate will cut them to size for you)
- 3-4 Bottles of Indoor/Outdoor Krylon COLORMAXX Spray Paint
- (16) 1 Inch Screws
- (8) 4 Inch Screws
- Power Drill
- (4) 2 inch Swivel Caster Wheels (The Home Depot)
- Cover a flat surface outdoors or in a well ventilated room.
- Lay the crates and dowels about one foot part on the covered surface.
- Apply 3-4 coats of spray paint to the dowels and the crates. Let the final coat dry for 1-2 hours.
- Flip one crate over so the bottom is facing up. Using the drill and 1 inch screws, secure the wheels in the middle of each side. Do not attach the wheels in the corners because you will be drilling the legs into the corners.
- Next place the crate on it's side. Place each dowel inside the corner of the crate and drill a 4 inch screw from the outside of the bottom through the crate and into the base of the dowel. This step is a lot easier if you have a friend to help.
- Take the second crate and set it on top of the dowels that are now attached to the inside of the bottom crate. Using 4 inch screws and the drill, drill the screws from the inside of the crate into the base of the dowels connecting the top crate to the top of dowels.
- Add your favorite annuals or herbs to your new mobile garden box.
Fun Add On: I made a small rag banner and treated it with Scotchguard to add a little festive color.