Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts. It is typically made of lady finger biscuits, espresso, vanilla extract, sugar, marscarpone cheese and cocoa powder. Tiramisu is fun to make because you can try different ingredients and still have the same delicious outcome.
I have tried a number of creative ways to make tiramisu and my tortilla tiramisu was a winning crowd pleaser. I substituted lady finger biscuits with flour tortilla to make this delicious layer cake. Talk about a fun Italian and Mexican mesh up!
10-15 flour tortilla
1 cup espresso
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup of marscarpone fresca (cheese)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1. Whisk together espresso, sugar and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish or a pan deep enough to submerge a tortilla.
2. Submerge one tortilla into espresso. Let it soak in the espresso for 30 seconds. Use a turner to lay the tortilla on a plate.
3. Spread marscarpone cheese evenly on top of the tortilla.
4. Continue to dip one tortilla at a time and layer it on the cake while spreading marscarpone cheese between each tortilla. Keep layering until you are out of espresso.
5. Sprinkle cocoa powder on the top layer of the cake using a shaker or sifter.
6. Cut and serve with a dessert wine or coffee.
Keep this recipe handy for the next time you have friends over for dinner, serve up this fantastic dessert. They will love you for it.