Everything seems to taste better and obviously look cuter in a mason jar! I decided to get creative when asked to bring a dessert to a pot luck party. I definitely wowed guests with this treat they could take home and enjoy for days to follow.
What you need (makes 16 jars)
- 1 ounce mason jars
- Pie Crust (can make your own or buy pre-made)
- 1 large apples
- 5 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of apple pie spice
- 4 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar
- 2 tablespoons of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Washi tape
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- Wash all your jars by hand
- Make enough pie dough for 7 pies or remove pre-made pie dough from the refrigerator (if you are using pre-made dough make sure by enough to cover 7 pies)
- Roll out dough until it is 1/4 of an inch thick and cut into 4ths
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit if you plan to cook them right away
- Mold dough to the inside of the jars. Dough should be about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick around the entire inside of the jar
- Set extra dough to the side
- Cut apples into small chunks and place chunks in a large bowl
- Add water, lemon juice, apple pie spice, cinnamon sugar and nutmeg to the apples and mix well. Add more spices to taste
- Fill each jar to the brim with the apple mixture
- Take the extra dough and make pie tops for each jar. You can choose to do a criss-cross top by cutting slices of dough. If you choose to do a full cover top use the jar lid to determine size. Make sure to cut slits in the dough to allow heat to vent during baking.
- If you plan to make them right away place them on a cookie sheet (do not put lid on) and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until apple mixture is bubbling and crust is golden brown
- If you plan to bake them another day place the lids on the jars and freeze them. When you are ready to bake them remove from the freezer 30-45 minutes prior to baking.
*any pie filling can be used
Decorating the Jars
While the jars are baking get creative with washi tape. You can use multiple patterns to decorate the lid.
If you plan to add a cinnamon stick for decoration, select a ribbon to secure it to the jar. You can be creative with the way you tie your bow!