Boston has been one of my most visited cities. I love the great shopping, eclectic people and most importantly the cheap lobsters. When in season, you can get lobsters for as low as $4.99 a pound! In the South, we are not that lucky. But when summer comes around, the price of lobster drops. That means we can have that refreshing lobster roll on a toasted buttery bun just like the Bostonians.
When it comes to making lobster roll, I never take short cuts. No canned lobster meat, no precooked or frozen lobster. I like the live Maine lobster and I like the whole thing please!
You see, when you steam your own lobster, the meat tastes fresh and doesn't give off that seafood odor. Pour a bottle of your favorite beer into the pot while steaming that bad boy and the lobster meat comes out sweet and exquisite!
I know it sounds like a lot of work for a simple lobster roll. It's really easy once you make it a few times. Breaking into the lobster is most of the work. So if you're not afraid of getting dirty and ready to make some amazing lobster rolls, then let's do it!
Ingredients: (Make 2-3 rolls)
- 1 live Maine lobster (1 - 2 lbs)
- 1 bottle of beer
- 2 - 3 hot dog buns
- 1 stalk of celery,chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of chili powder
- dash paprika
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- half a lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, room temperature
1. Put the whole lobster in a large pot. Add 2 cups of water and 1 bottle of beer. Close the lid and let steam for 15 minutes or when the lobster turns bright red. When done, take the lobster out of the pot and let it cool.
2. In a medium bowl, combine mayo, Dijon mustard, celery, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper and mix well with a spoon. Put in fridge to cool.
3. Crack open the lobster and pull out all of the delicious meat! You might need an apron for that.
4. Cut the lobster meat in thick chunks.
5. Add lobster to the chilled homemade dressing. Stir well. Squeeze a wedge of lemon juice into the mix.
6. Spread the inside of the hot dog buns with butter and toast it until golden.
7. Spoon a generous serving of lobster into the bun. Squeeze extra lemon juice if desire.
8. Eat them up because they are so good!
Enjoy the #sweetlife