July is the best time of year to get fresh and delicious blueberries. It's no wonder the entire month is dedicated to this antioxidant super fruit. So in honor of National Blueberry Month, I'm digging deep in my recipe book for my favorite blueberry dessert. Just in time to beat this summer heat, I created the ultimate blueberry and pistachio ice cream recipe just for you! No short cuts this time. I'm using wholesome ingredients to bring out the wonderful flavors of this homemade creation.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup blue agave nectar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dry roasted pistachios (no shells)
Special Equipment: Ice cream maker
1. Prepare the ice cream maker by placing the mixing bowl in the freezer 8 hours ahead. See ice cream maker instructions. Different machines vary.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries and blue agave nectar. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium. Cook down the blueberries for 30 minutes until it becomes a thick sauce. Let it cool completely.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, cream, egg yolks, vanilla and salt. Whisk it all together. Whisk in blueberry sauce. Refrigerate the ice cream mix overnight (8-12 hours).
4. Set up the ice cream maker and pour the mix in. Let it churn for 30-45 minutes until the ice cream is thick.
5. Pour the ice cream in a covered container and let it freezer for 3 more hours.
6. Crush the pistachios in little bits. I used a pestle and mortar.
7. Sprinkle the crushed pistachios over the blueberry ice cream when you are ready to serve.
This ice cream is not only creamy and delicious, its vibrant colors will stand out like no other homemade desserts. It's great for entertaining house guests and dinner parties!
For more recipes and DIY project, check out Chan's blog Sweets By Chan