Churros might be one of the best sweet treats in the world! This recipe took a couple of trials and errors but the refined recipe below will produce delicious treats! I did not have a large star tip to give them their most recognized shape so I decided to shape them into doughnuts! These are a guaranteed home run anytime of the year for all #CreativeCelebrations!
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 quart of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 6 hershey’s chocolate mini bars
- 1/3 cup of milk or cream
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Combine a 1/2 cup of sugar with the cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Line a plate with paper towels.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the water, 1.5 tablespoons sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Bring the mixture to a boil then remove it from the heat. Stir in the flour, mixing until it forms a dough ball.
- Heat 3 to 4 inches of vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot set over medium-high heat, until it reaches 375 degrees.
- Form the dough into doughnut circles. Using a slotted spoon to place donuts in the oil. Turn every few minutes until both sides are golden brown. Remove and place doughnuts on the dish with the paper towel.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- To make the chocolate sauce melt baking chocolate in a double boiler and add cream or milk as it is melting until the chocolate is smooth.
- The churros are best served warm!