My favorite part of making homemade donuts is adding the toppings. I use just about any topping I can find in my pantry. So when I'm craving some custom decorated donuts and don't have the time to wrestle the dough, I use my quick and easy 3 step donut recipe.
- Pillsbury French Loaf dough
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Toppings of your choice
1. Cut the dough. Pop the dough out of the canister. Dust the dough with flour for easy handling. Roll it out to about 1/4 inch and use a donut cutter to cut the dough. If you don't have a donut cutter, use the rim of a large glass for the outer ring and a shot glass for the inner ring. Save the donut holes. Those are cute to decorate and eat too.
2. Fry the dough. Heat oil to 375 degrees. I can tell when the oil is hot enough when I stick one chopstick in the middle of the pan and the oil starts to bubble. Fry the donuts 2 at a time. Continue to flip each donut so it won't burn. Cook for about 2 minutes or until they are golden brown. Drain the donuts and let it cool.
3. Decorate your donuts I dipped my donuts faced down in melted chocolate. I added M&Ms, sprinkles, bacon, coconut, nuts and more sprinkles.
If you have a small gathering and want to incorporate a fun and crafty activity, then have a donut decorating station. Adults and children will love it.
For more recipes, check out Chan's blog Sweets By Chan