Every year I try to add more personal touches to my holiday decorations. This year, I am working on a tree that has a rustic-chic theme. To complement the design, I am turning birch slices into photo ornaments featuring my family. I love this project because it is so simple – and it creates ornaments my family will cherish for years to come!
- Birch slice
- Photograph (4x6 works best)
- Mod Podge
- Foam Brush
- Ribbon (2 feet)
- If the birch slice does not have a pre-drilled hole, you can easily drill a hole in seconds with a power drill. Do this before any other steps.
- Trace the birch slice on the photo, making sure the area you want to feature fits within the parameters of the birch slice.
- Using the scissors, cut the photos slightly smaller than the traced line. Evenly apply Mod Podge on the birch surface and on the back of the photo.
- Place the photo on the birch slice and use your finger to smooth any bubbles.
- Apply another coat of Mod Podge on top of the photo, evenly covering the photo and exposed edges of the birch slice. Let the project dry for 10 minutes.
- Cut the 2 foot piece of ribbon in half. Feed one piece of ribbon through the drilled hole and tie a knot. Lay the second piece of ribbon over that knot. Tie a bow with the first piece of ribbon, making sure the second piece of ribbon is secure in the knot but the ends are still loose.
- Take the loose ends of the second ribbon and tie a knot creating a loop used to hang the ornament.
Tip: This is a fun project to do with your whole family on Christmas Eve! Our family is making this a yearly tradition.