I absolutely adore dogs, especially my Kennedy. He's an 8 year-old Yorkie. I like to dress him by the season but summer can be too hot for him to wear clothes. The only thing he wears during the hot summer months is a doggy bandana.
It's so easy to make a bandana for your dog. All you need to do is cut a long triangle and tie it around the dog's neck. Voila! Instant dog accessories. But with pom poms and fun colors and patterns trending this summer, why not give Kennedy a little upgrade to his usual bandana? I found a few quilting fat quarters with summer prints that would make the cutest pom pom bandanas ever. If you can use a thread and needle, this project is going to be easy.
Here are the measurements for your dog size:
Extra Small dogs: 10 inches
Small dogs: 12 inches
Medium dogs: 14 inches
Large dogs: 16 inches
1 fat quarter of fabric (18 in. x 21 in.)
Note: My dog is a regular size Yorkie so these measurements are for a small dog.
1. Fold the quarter in a triangle. Measure the sides of the triangle 12 inches. Trim off the excess fabric. Keep the bandana folded.
2. On each end of the longest side, cut off 3 inches.
3. Place the pom pom trim between the side layer of the fabric. Sew the sides close with the pom pom hanging out. Your stitching doesn't have to be perfect. As long as the trim is locked in between the fabric. Leave 1 inch opening on each end of the bandana.
4. Lay the lace along the trim of the bandana. Use fabric glue to hold the lace in place. Use a foam brush to push the lace down and absorb excess fabric glue. Do this on each side of the bandana. Let the glue dry completely before moving on to the next step.
5. To put the bandana on your dog. Insert the dog collar through the 1 inch opening on one end of the bandana. Loop the collar all the way through. This keeps the dog from wiggling out of the bandana. Remove the bandana to wash like normal.
This project was so easy, that I made a total of three doggy bandanas for Kennedy's cousins, Mona and Ollie. They all look adorable in their bandanas. They look like a bunch of stylish gang of puppies!
Que the doggy fashion show!
Kennedy is wearing a herringbone pom pom bandana in mint. His pose definitely shows us he is a natural at modeling.
Ollie is wearing a colorful "Good Dog" bandana. Pom poms are the frills these days.
Mona is wearing this summer's most iconic print, the gray and white mini anchors. Work it, Mona!
There you have it, folks! This season's hottest pet accessory can be made in 5 easy steps. Don't forget that #NationalDogDay is August 26th. Honor your dog by sharing a photo of your pooch wearing these bandanas and tagging @craftboxgirls.