Holy moly where has summer gone? Back to school season is upon us and we have teamed up with Krylon® Brand to create the perfect mobile kitchen for college dorm rooms! We all know dorm rooms can be a little cramped and who wants to take up valuable space creating a kitchen. This mobile kitchen is the perfect, easy solution to maximize your dorm space in a stylish way for under $100!
- 2 Cans of Krylon Dual® Superbond Paint + Primer in Gloss White
- 1 Can of Krylon Dual® Superbond Paint + Primer in Piston Gloss Gray
- 1 Can of Krylon Dual® Superbond Paint + Primer in Sun Gloss Yellow
- Raw Wood Rolling Cart
- Painters Tape
- Ruler & Pen/Pencil
- Screw Hooks in Multiple Sizes (depends on what you are hanging)
- Wooden Dowel
- Gloves and Mask (optional but recommended)
- Drop Cloth or Tarp
Project Time: 2 Hours
I started with a new cart and found it best to paint the parts of the cart before assembling. If you are using a cart that you already have and are able to take it apart I would highly suggest doing so. This is a larger project so I recommend grabbing friend or two to help (it is way more fun with friends).
- In a well-ventilated space or outdoors cover a flat surface with a drop cloth or tarp.
- Before starting, read and follow safety and application instructions on the spray paint can.
- First, spray the base of the cart with Krylon Dual Superbond Paint + Primer in Gloss White. Wait 20-30 minutes between coats. We sprayed two coats and used two cans.
- Next, use Krylon Dual Superbond Paint + Primer in Piston Gloss Gray to paint the shelves. Wait 20-30 minutes between coats. We sprayed two coats and only used a small amount of one can.
- Once the base is dry add a decorative touch by using a stencil and Krylon Dual Superbond Paint + Primer in Gloss Sun Yellow to spray a design on the top of the cart. Secure the stencil with painters tape.
- Hold the can about 6 inches away from the stencil and use one swift sweeping motion to spray the stencil. Spray light, even coats to avoid the paint bleeding beyond the stencil. If you are doing a repeating stencil pattern like we did make sure that you cover all negative spaces around the stencil to avoid overspray.
- Next, spray paint the dowel with Krylon Dual Superbond Paint + Primer in Sun Yellow Gloss. If the dowel is too long, cut using a miter saw or have the hardware store cut it to size.
- Make sure all the parts are dry before you assemble the cart.
- To make this cart as useful as possible we added screw hooks to hang cooking essentials. Make sure the screw hooks are large enough to hold essentials like spatulas, spoons, pans, coffee mugs, etc. To ensure the screw hooks are level and equally spaced use a ruler and pencil to make placement marks before screwing. If the wood is soft enough you can screw the hooks in by hand. If it is a harder wood use a drill to drill a small hole first and then screw the hooks in by hand.
- Next measure, the placement of the dowel and screw the hooks in to hold it at each end. This makes the perfect hand towel rack.
- Now it is time to add the fun stuff! Thinking about using your cart to hold items like a coffee machine, burner, microwave, plates, utensils, cutting board, pots, etc.
- Are you ready to make your own dorm room kitchen cart? You can purchase Krylon Dual Superbond Paint + Primer and other great Krylon Brand products at your local Ace Hardware store.
This post is sponsored by Krylon and is part of an on-going paid campaign between Craft Box Girls and Krylon. All ideas, opinions, and photographs are my own!