Move over rustic! The industrial look is slowly popping up in furniture stores and all over the internet. I'm obsessed with galvanized pipes for bookshelves, coffee tables, end tables and desks. If you have been shopping for industrial-inspired furniture then you know how expensive it is. You can easily spend $500 plus for a bookshelf and $600 for a standing desk. Ridiculous right? Well, I can show you how to make an industrial pipe desk for $100! Seriously!
DIY Industrial Pipe Desk
- 3 wood panels (7 inches wide X 3 feet long)
- 2 wood panels (3 inches wide X 21 inches long)
- 1/8 pre-drill bit
- 4 36 inch black galvanized pipes with 3/4 inch twisted ends
- 8 3/4 inch black flanges
- power drill
- 20 1" long screws
- wood stain in Weathered Gray
- paint brush
- fine sand paper
- wood glue
We hope you enjoy our convenient shoppable materials list. Just so you know, Craft Box Girls may collect a share of the sales from the links on this page.
1. Use wood glue to seal in the 3'X7" wood side by side. Then glue 3"x21" wood panels along the ends of the board.
2. Pre-drill each ends of the middle board. Drill two screws onto each end of the board to secure the end panels to the desk.
3. Place a flange at each corner of the desk. Pre-drill the holes to hold the flange in place. Finally, drill the screws in to all four flanges.
4. Sand down the edges of the board to prevent splinters. Also, sand the surface of the board for a smooth finish.
5. Stain the desk's surface and underneath using a brush. Allow the stain to dry completely.
6. Twist the galvanized pipes into the flanges and you are done!
Did you think you could make this desk in 6 easy steps? The hard work is picking the right wood for your desk and having someone at the hardware store cut it for you. I love Home Depot because of that service. But you know, I can work any electric saw if I have to. I know you can too.
My desk is a standing desk or you can always pull up a stool. It's small enough to be placed in the kitchen or family room. It's great for any room really and a fraction of the price. I'm loving it!