Halloween is almost here and I am excited to turn my house into a spooky wonderland. You already know we love Krylon®Brand and we love collaborating with them on festive and creative projects. If you didn't get a chance to check out last year's DIY Halloween Graveyard collaboration with Krylon you absolutely need to check out this spooktacular project! My latest collaboration with Krylon is a DIY Witches Broom Yard Sign that is sure to give your neighbors yard envy!
- 1 Can of Krylon ColorMaster® Paint + Primer in Gloss Rich Plum
- 1 Can of Krylon ColorMaster® Paint + Primer in Gloss Pumpkin Orange
- 1 Can of Krylon ColorMaster® Paint + Primer in Gloss Black
- Broom with a Wooden Handle
- Assorted Wood Planks
- Yard Stake
- Alphabet Stencils
- Painters Tape
- Wood Glue or Super Glue
- Tarp or Drop Cloth
- Zip Ties
- Assorted Spooky Decorations (tulle, googley eyes, fake spiders, etc)
Project Time: 2 Hours
- In a well-ventilated space or outdoors cover a flat surface with a drop cloth or tarp.
- Before starting, read and follow safety and application instructions on the spray paint can.
- Lay broom flat on the tarp. Tape off the handle and cover the bristles with a plastic bag.
- Hold spray paint can about 8 inches from the project and spray the broom handle in large sweeping motions with the Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer in Gloss Rich Plum. Apply additional coats as needed when dry to the touch. Once dry flip the broom over and spray the back of the handle.
- Lay the planks in three groups, one for each color. Spray each group with the selected color, Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer in Gloss Rich Plum, Gloss Pumpkin Orange or Gloss Black. Apply a second coat if needed. I only needed one coat!
- Lay the yard stake on the tarp and spray with the Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer in Gloss Rich Plum.
- Once the broom handle is dry remove the plastic bag and spray the bristles with a light coat of Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer in Gloss Black to add an extra spooky look.
- While the planks are drying decide what you want each plank to say. I went with scary places. Lay out the stencils to spell out each word. Use the painter's tape to adhere the letters together.
- Once the planks are dry, position the stencils on the plank. Cover the remaining spaces with painter's tape to avoid overspray.
- Position the can about 8 inches directly above the stencil. Start spraying a few inches off the plank and use smooth sweeping motions to spray directly above the stencil. Do not spray at an angle or paint might get under the stencil.
- Remove stencils right after you spray them. Do not let the stencil dry on the plank.
- Once all pieces of the project are dry, Position the planks how you would like them to appear on the broom handle.
- Attach with wood glue or super glue. Allow the project to dry according to glue package. I used wood glue and let it dry overnight.
- Add spooky decorations to the planks like googley eyes, fake spiders and skeleton (optional).
- When you are ready to display, drive the yard stake into the ground with a hammer.
- Attach the broom to the yard stake using zip ties. If you need a little extra support, use a brick or rock for support behind the yard stake.
- Add tulle around the base of the broom handle to cover the zip ties.
Boo! I hope you enjoy this festive project! I love the display I created in my yard! My neighbors are already asking for the how-to!
Visit your local Ace Hardware to purchase the Krylon products featured in this project as well as much more!
This post is sponsored by Krylon and is part of an on-going paid campaign between Craft Box Girls and Krylon. All ideas, opinions, and photographs are my own!