Candy apples are a decadent fruit and candy combo that are absolutely eye catching. These traditional fall treat are best homemade and perfect for sharing. September and October are peak apple picking season. If you have plenty of apples and need ideas on what to do with it then make candy apples just in time for Halloween!
Halloween Candy Apple Recipe:
1 and 1/2 cup pure sugar
1 cup water
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
green food color
4 gala apples
4 popsicle sticks
1. Wash, clean and dry apples. Insert popsicle sticks and set aside.
2. In a medium pot, combine water, sugar and corn syrup and bring to a boil for 15-20 minutes. Use a candy thermometer. When candy gets up to 285 degrees F take it off the heat.
3. Add cinnamon and food color and stir well with a wooden spoon.
4. Dip the apple one at a time. Turn the apple and let the excess candy drip off. Lay the candy apple on a greased non-stick surface. Let it harden and continue to dip the remaining apples. You will need to work fast because the candy will harden quickly.
NOTE: When done dipping apples, add 2 cups of water back in the pot and bring to boil. This helps melt down the hard candy for easy clean up.
5. When candy apple hardens, you can continue decorating or eat it as is. I like to add candy melts and nuts to the candy apples. Adding Halloween spiders to the decoration makes it spooky and fun.
These candy apples make great gifts, party treats or even decoration for Halloween. Please don't bite directly into the apples. The candy is hard so it's best cut in small pieces and share with others. These are not for children under age 4.
For more awesome craft ideas, visit my personal blog at The Crafting Board. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube too!
This treat is just perfect! Great activity for the family too. My kids and I will surely enjoy making this. Thanks for sharing!