Marshmallows are not just for summer fun around the campfire. On cold evenings, marshmallows are great to toast inside and out. Add rich coffee aroma to the marshmallows and bring on winter! Whether you are outdoor at the fire pit or indoor at the fireplace, these homemade coffee marshmallows are this winter's best sweet treat!
1 cup of fresh brewed coffee (the stronger the better)
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of light fructose corn syrup
3 packets of gelatin
2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. In a medium sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup of coffee, 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup of light fructose corn syrup. Stir with a whisk and bring to a boil. Let it boil for 30 seconds.
2. In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup of coffee and 3 packets of gelatin. Use the whisk attachment to break up the gelatin.
3. Slowly pour the hot syrup into the mixing bowl with the gelatin mixture on low speed. Be careful because the syrup is extremely hot.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
5. Whisk the coffee mixture on high for 10-12 minutes. When the marshmallow forms stiff peaks and looks glossy like taffy then you are done mixing.
6. Spray a 9x9 square pan with cooking oil.
7. Pour the marshmallow into the pan. Use a spatula to smooth the top surface.
8. Spray plastic food wrap with cooking oil and press it over the marshmallow surface tightly. Store in the fridge up to 4 hours or overnight.
9. Use a greased knife to cut the marshmallow out of the pan. Dust the marshmallow with powdered sugar and cut into squares.
You will notice that homemade marshmallows are so much softer and tastier. It's so good to eat alone or lightly toasted over an open fire. Use kabob sticks to toast the marshmallows but be sure not to get too close to the fire. If you don't have a fireplace or fire pit no worries. Toast these over a tea candle! The rich coffee flavor makes these sweet treats the new s'mores of winter!