It's time to celebrate mom and make her feel extra special with heartfelt crafts! We love moms all year round but Mother's Day is a great day to show mom some extra love! These crafts are also made with recycled things you have at home!
Today I am sharing 2 crafts live on the Crayola facebook page that are sure to make mom smile. You can watch the replay video below as well as view the step by step instructions.
You can get all the Crayola supplies I used today at Crayola.com
Project 1: Craft Roll Heart Stamped Art Work
For this project we are going to create a heart shaped stamper with a cardboard craft roll. This craft roll can be used to create a canvas that stamped all over with different color hearts or to create a photo heart balloon canvas.
Materials for Photo Heart Balloon Canvas:
- Cardbord Craft Rolls (one for each color heart you want to stamp)
- Crayola Creativity Canvas
- Crayola Washable Paint
- Paint Brush
- Crayola Permanent Markers
- Photo Printed (printing on regular copy work best)
- Crayola Washable Glue Stick
- Crayola Washable Liquid Glue
- Crayola Crayons
- Crayola Bright Pop Cardstock Paper Pad
- White Cardstock
- Paper Plate
- If you can find a photo with your child's arm pointing upward (my daughter was doing a dance move in this photo). You also want your child to be about 4.5-6" tall once the image is cut out. You can take one with your phone and print on your home printer on copy paper (works best).
- Cut around your child.
- Use the glue stick to glue to the bottom corner of the canvas.
- I used 3 craft rolls, one for each color I stamped - pink, orange and purple.
- At the end of each craft roll pinch the circular part of the craft roll to form the point of the heart.
- Directly across from the point of the heart use your fingers to fold the craft roll inward and pinch it. This will be the top middle of the heart. You might need to hold the fold and continue to pull it inward until you get the shape of the heart you want.
- If you are having trouble getting it to stay in place you can use a piece of tape across the top to keep the inward fold at the top of the heart together.
- Repeat these steps for each craft roll.
- Next put small amount of each paint on a paper plate and use the brush to spread it out. You want the piles of paint to be wide enough to cover the side of your craft roll heart stamp.
- Stamp your craft rolls in the paint and then on the canvas about 1.5"-2" from the start of your child's pointing hand.
- Leave spaces in between.
- Alternate colors to create a unique bouquet of balloons.
- Let the paint completely dry.
- Take crayons and color in the balloons.
- Use permanent markers to draw the ends of the balloons and draw strings from each balloon to the child's hand.
- Finish the balloon bouquet by tying a ribbon in a bow and attaching it right above your child's hand.
- Add a personalized touch to the canvas by cutting out a small rectangle of Bright Pop Cardstock. Cut a piece of white cardstock slightly smaller. Glue these two pieces together with the white on top.
- Use the markers to write a message to mom and then glue it to the canvas.
Project 2: Milk Carton Flower Vase
- Cardboard Milk Carton
- Crayola Bright Pop Cardstock Paper Pad
- Crayola Glue Stick
- Crayla Washable Liquid Glue
- Pipe Cleaners
- Buttons or Pom Poms
- Floral Foam or Styrofoam
- Crinkle Filler
- Craft Knife
- Cut a piece of bright pop cardstock in half long ways. Use one piece to measure again the milk carton and draw a line all the way around the carton.
- Adults, using a craft knife cut the top half of the milk carton off and discard.
- Make sure the milk carton is clean and dry.
- You will need to use both halves of the bright pop cardstock paper to cover the entire milk carton. Use the Crayola washable liquid glue to attach it.
- Cut a piece of construction paper about 1.5" wide that matches the pattern on the cardstock. Glue this around the center of the carton.
- Tie a piece of twine around the carton in a bow.
- Using construction paper, pipe cleaners and a button or pom pom make flowers to go in the vase.
- Place a piece of floral foam or styrofoam inside the milk carton. Stick the pipe cleaner flowers in the foam at different heights.
- Finish off the arrangement by adding some crinkle paper as filler.
Tada! A home made flower vase with flowers that will last forever and are sure to make mom smile!
As a mom I 100% prefer a homemade gift from girls and husband. Anything they create is sure to make me smile!
Happy Mothers Day!