It may seem like summer just started but we are getting closer to starting school. We will be making a Paper Chain Countdown to school. Here are the materials you will need for this project:
Project Difficulty: Beginner
- 1 sheet of orange Construction Paper
- 2 sheets of yellow Construction Paper
- 1 sheet of red Construction Paper
- 1 sheet of black Construction Paper
- Washable Markers
- Template (or you can follow along to make the template)
- Make a 5-inch triangle with your orange construction paper, ruler, scissors, and pencil. Or you can cut and trace out the bigger triangle from your template and trace it onto your construction paper. This will be your pencil point. Cut the lines you just drew or traced.
- Make a 1-inch triangle with the black construction paper. Or you can cut and trace out the smaller triangle from your template. This will be the lead of your pencil.
- Add glue to the top point of your orange triangle and stick the black triangle on top.
- Place the top of your pencil onto your yellow construction paper. Trace the bottom of your pencil top triangle.
- Draw zigzag lines from the left side of your drawing to the right side. They don’t have to be perfect.
- Cut out the zigzag lines and add glue to the pencil side. Place on the bottom edge of the orange triangle pencil top. Now your pencil top is complete.
- With your red construction paper, draw a 4 inch box and cut it out. You can also use the square on your template to cut and trace out. You can round out the corners if you’d like.
- With your red square, place it on top of your black construction paper and trace one side and about ½ -inch to the left and right of the red square.
- Remove the red square and draw a straight line across to connect the left and right side. Now you have a rectangle.
- Cut the black rectangle outline and add glue to the pencil side. Add it to the bottom edge of the red square. Now it’s the eraser to your pencil. Set aside to dry.
- With the yellow construction paper, measure 1-inch by 10.5-inch rectangle with a ruler and pencil. Or you can use your rectangle template to trace on your yellow construction paper.
- Cut it out and repeat this step to make 8 more rectangle strips.
- With one strip, glue one end to the other end to make a loop.
- Make another loop with another strip by going through the loop you previously made.
- Complete this to make a chain with all of your strips.
- Get your eraser and write your name and the first day of school.
- Glue the pencil top to one of the chain.
- Glue the eraser to the other end of the chain.
- Once you are 1-week closer to the beginning of school, you can rip a link off from the bottom of the chain for each day you are closer to starting school.
We hope you enjoyed this Camp Craft Box project! Parents, share your child’s craft on the Camp Craft Box Facebook Group. Don’t forget to tag @crayola and @craftboxgirls and use the hashtag #CampCraftBox if you share your child's projects on social media.