Spring is finally here! I know we say it every year, but this winter felt like the longest season ever. Now is the time to pull out all of our pastels and kick off the warm weather season. I can’t think of a better way to do that than with a pretty pink cocktail.
When it comes to cocktails, it is all about balance. I prefer a drink that has brightness and flavor rather than a drink that is extremely sweet. I have created what I like to call “Pretty in Pink Grapefruit” cocktail, because it looks so fancy you will feel pretty sipping on it. It has a tart and acidic bite from the grapefruit which I mellow out a bit with a mint simple syrup. I like to squeeze in some fresh lime juice for brightness, and then finish it off with sparkling water to make it refreshing and sparkly. Good quality tequila is my alcohol of choice for this one, but if you have vodka around, that works too.
When I make a cocktail like this, I like to do them in a single portion rather than making them in a large pitcher. I find that, similar to getting a drink at a restaurant, when the they are made to order, they taste much more fresh and flavorful.
Pretty in Pink Cocktail
(Make 1 serving)
1/4 cup grapefruit juice
½ cup sparking water
tequila, start with 1 ounce and adjust to your taste; vodka can be used instead if desired
2-3 tablespoons of mint simple syrup; water, sugar, fresh mint
fresh lime; about ½ lime, but you can add more if desired
1. Make the simple syrup by combining the sugar and water in a sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Stir until the sugar dissolves and it comes to a simmer.
3. Stir in the fresh mint leaves.
4. Simmer on low for about 8-10 minutes; string occasionally.
5. Allow to cool and remove the mint leaves.
6.Store this in a sealed container and refrigerate.
7. In a tall glass, stir together the grapefruit juice, tequila and simple syrup.
8. Add in the sparkling water and ice.
9. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime.
10. Adjust to your taste by adding more of anything you like.
11. Garnish with mint and grapefruit slices.