My all-time favorite Easter candies are those Cadbury chocolate eggs with the speckled candy shell on the outside! I love them so much that I cannot buy them, because I will eat the entire bag. I don’t mean to be partial, but I happen to like Easter candy better than Halloween candy. I’m pretty sure it’s because all of the Easter candy come in pastel colors!
With pastels and speckled eggs in mind, I decided to create a beautiful cupcake that will elevate your Easter dessert table. These Speckled Egg Cupcakes are made topped with candy coating chocolate and get their little speckles from a little flick of food coloring. These cupcakes would be cute on a just about anything, but who doesn’t love cupcakes?
To make the Speckled Egg Cupcakes extra special, I colored the buttercream frosting with a little bit of pastel food coloring, but plain white would be pretty as well. The star of the show is the egg!
Supplies for Speckled Egg Cupcakes
Cupcakes, whatever flavor you like!
Pastel food coloring
Candy coating chocolate, also known as candy melts, whatever colors you like
Silicone egg molds
Brown food coloring
Small bristle paint brush
Glove; optional but worth it!
1. Melt the chocolate according to package instructions; usually 30 second increments in the microwave work well.
2. Pour the chocolate into the egg molds; allow to cool and then place in the fridge for a few to harden completely.
3. Make sure the eggs are completely set up before trying to take them out of the mold
4. Once the eggs are ready, take them out of the molds and place them onto wax paper.
5. In a small bowl, combine a little bit of brown food coloring with a tiny bit of water; you want it to be able to flick off the paint brush.
6. Dip the paint brush into the food coloring and, while wearing the glove, use your finger to flick the food coloring onto the eggs to create the “speckled” look.
7. Allow the speckled eggs to dry, this can take around 5 hours depending on the weather; if there is more moisture in the air, then it will take longer to dry.
8. Frost the cupcakes as desired and add the speckled eggs on the top.