It's back to school season! If your kid is looking for an adorable book bag with their latest spirit animal crush then forget the search. You can make your own book bag design that is too cool for school. You kid will be the envy of school with this dancing unicorn book bag! To be honest, I want one of this in ever spirit animal!
The supplies are really easy to find. I ordered the book bag from Amazon under $10. All you need are white iron-on vinyl, colorful fabric markers, pink ribbons, computer/printer and scissors from the craft store if you don't already have it at home. Finally you'll need an iron set on high temperature. Kids are welcome to help but when it comes to ironing on the vinyl, let the adult take are of it. It's that easy. Let's get this project started.
white iron-on vinyl
cut out of 7 unicorns (via Google image or Cricut image)
fabric marker in black, gold, pink, green and purple
3 pink ribbons (6 inch each)
1. Print and cut an image of a unicorn from Google image or use a Cricut machine to cut out a unicorn. You will need 7.
2. If you don't have a Cricut, trace the image on to the iron-on vinyl and cut around the image. Leave the clear layer on the vinyl.
3. Layout the unicorns on the book bag before ironing on. Make sure the images are spaced out equally.
4. Iron on the image using high heat for about 30 seconds.
5. Peel off the plastic surface. Press the iron on the vinyl to ensure it is sealed on.
6. Continue to do this until all of the unicorns are on the book bag.
7. Print and cut out the name or initials of the child. I used Brush Script as the font of choice. Trace the name on the reverse side of the vinyl (non glossy side). This creates a mirror image and when iron on, the name appears correctly.
8. Iron on the name.
9. Use the fabric markers to color in the unicorn's eye, horn, hair and tail.
10. Cut out the zipper handle if you do not like the color. Use the pink ribbon to add a pink grip for the zipper. This step is optional.
How cool and fun was that? This project is great for a back to school family craft day. The kids can chose their spirit animal, cut and add it on using iron-on magic! Check out our video of the Loca Llama book bag coming soon!