My friends at Eclectic makers of Unicorn SPiT challenged me to create colorful mommy and me shoes. I had always wanted a pair of Dr. Martens but didn't want just black or white boots. I love color especially when it comes to shoes. This challenge was the perfect excuse to get mommy and me Dr. Martens and design our very own rainbow boots! I found the perfect smooth white leather womens boots and child white leather boots.
- Doc Martens (smooth white leather)
- Unicorn SPiT (I used the colors of the rainbow)
- Paint Brushes
- Oil Based Sealant
- Painters Tape
Unicorn SPiT is such a versatile product that can be used as a stain by mixing it with water or you can use it straight out of the bottle. For this project we are using it straight out of the bottle to get the bright and brilliant colors!
- Use painters tape to tape the portions of the boots you don't want to paint.
- Pour all the colors on a plate in the order you are going to paint them on the shoe. I did the colors of the rainbow. Leave space between each other because you will be blending colors together as you go.
- Start by painting the heal of the boot with purple.
- On the plate pull some blue and purple together and mix. On either side of the purple on the booth paint the mixed blue and purple. Then paint blue and run your brush up and down to so the colors blend together nicely.
- Repeat as you move around the boot mixing colors on the plate to help blend the colors of the rainbow nicely on the boot.
- It might look streaky but that will be resolved when you do the second coat.
- Add colors, spacing them out so red will be at the tip of the booth. Each side of the boot will have the same colors meeting at the back with purple and front with red.
- After you finish the first coat let it dry for 4-6 hours.
- Once dry, repeat the exact same paint pattern blending as you go.
- Let the second coat dry over night.
- Once it is completely dry, seal with a non-water based clear sealant. I used an oil based brush on sealant. Paint on with a soft brush. Cover all areas that are painted.
- Make sure to spread the sealant evenly and watch for drips.
- Let this coat dry for at least 6 hours and add a second sealant coat. Let this coat cure for 24-48 hours before wearing the boots.
If you accidentally get Unicorn SPiT on the rubber sole use a bleach wipe to remove it from the sole (do this before you seal it).
How cute are these rainbow mommy and me Dr. Marten Boots!
Did you also know that Unicorn SPiT works on canvas shoes!
I painted rainbow canvas slip on shoes for my daughter, Lily and I. Don't dilute the Unicorn SPiT, use straight out of the bottle. You will also only need one coat.
Make sure to seal the canvas shoes when they are completely dry. Use a non-water based sealant. I used the same oil based brush on sealant as I used on the boots. You can also use a non-water based spray on sealant. Let the shoes cure for at least 24 hours before wearing them!
Find out more about the amazing Unicorn SPiT on Eclectic's website. You can also purchase at Michaels, JoAnns and Walmart!
This post was sponsored by Eclectic but all thoughts and opinions are my own!