My husband calls most of recipes "surprises" because I like to take ingredients that are left in the refrigerator or in the pantry and see what tasty concoction I can create. Some are amazing and others are a disaster. Last Thursday I was cooking for one and was looking for something quick, easy and healthy. I hit the jackpot with this "surprise".
- 2 small organic chicken breasts
- 1 cup of organic tricolored quinoa
- 8 ounce can of corn (you can also use fresh corn on the cob)
- 3/4 cup of salsa
- Handful of organic baby spinach
- Cut chicken breasts into chunks and grill on a grill pan or on a gas/charcoal grill until thoroughly cooked
- Place 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all water is absorbed (10 to 15 minutes). When done the grain will appear translucent and soft and the germ ring will be visible.
- Heat corn on the stove top for about 10 minutes on low heat
- Combine grilled chicken, corn, quinoa, baby spinach and salsa for a delicious and healthy salad