It's been a zoo around here lately... well not exactly but some times life feels like a zoo between mom/wife life and studio/work life! We just went to a fun private event at the zoo that my husband's company hosted and we had so much fun getting up close and personal with all our favorite animals. I thought this was the perfect excuse to create zoo animal themed crafts for this week's facebook live broadcast for Crayola. From strutting giraffes, to giant elephants and a funny monkey these are fun animal crafts to create with your kiddos.
All the Crayola supplies I used today can be purchased on crayola.com
Project 1: Giraffe Tin Can Pencil Holder
- Tin Can
- Crayola Model Magic in Yellow, Orange and White
- Crayola Construction Paper in White, Yellow and Orange
- Crayola Markers
- Crayola Washable Liquid Glue
- Crayola Glue Stick
- Make sure the tin can is empty and cleaned out.
- Cut a piece of construction paper to fit around the tin can. Glue it around the tin can.
- Use a brown marker to draw giraffe spots all over the can.
- Cut the giraffe's neck, head and ears from construction paper.
- Glue the ears to the head and the head to the neck.
- Use the brown marker to draw the giraffe spots on the neck.
- Draw a face on the giraffe.
- Glue the neck and head to the can.
- Cut a tail and draw spots on the tail. Glue the tail to the can.
- To make the legs of the giraffe roll 4 half dollar size balls of yellow model magic.
- Roll each ball between your hands to form thick cylinders. Press each end against the table to flatten it so it can stand on it's own.
- Make spots for each leg out of the brown Model Magic and press around the legs.
- Line up the legs under the can so they are evenly spaced.
- Light press the can into the legs to make an indentation.
- Remove the can add glue along each indention and replace the can. Do not move the giraffe until the glue has completely dried.
Project 2: Mommy & Me Handprint Elephants
- Crayola Washable Blue Paint
- Crayola Markers
- Crayola White Construction Paper (optional blue)
- Popsicle Sticks (optional)
- Crayola Washable Glue Stick
- Paint Brush
- Paint the palm of your child's hand and your hand with the blue paint and stamp them on a piece of paper. If you want to make artwork stamp them thumbs pointing at each other. If you just want to make stick puppets you can stamp them anywhere on the paper
- Wash your hands.
- Turn the handprints so the thumbs are pointed down.
- Let the handprints dry.
- Use a marker to outline each elephant, draw an ear, eyes and a tail.
- If you are creating artwork draw a heart between the trunks and add a fun saying or names.
- If you want to create puppets cut around each elephant and glue to a piece of blue construction paper.
- Cut the elephants out of the construction paper leaving a border.
- Glue a popsicle stick to the back to create a puppet.
Project 3: Monkey Model Magic Pencil Topper
- Crayola Model Magic in Brown, Tan, White, Black
- Roll the brown Model Magic into a half dollar size ball.
- Push the ball onto the eraser side of a pencil until it stays by itself.
- Mold the parts of the monkeys face and slightly press them on the face.
- Keep the monkey on the pencil and let it dry upright.